***Supplement to Modern History*** Offered 2022-2023
- Time & Tuition
- 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm, Wednesdays
- $30 per month, August 2022 through May 2023
- Location: Signal Mountain, Tennessee
- Credit: 1 full credit in Fine Arts
- Grades: The course is only open to students who are taking (or who have taken) Modern History
- Description: This course surveys the development of Western art and music from ancient times to the present. Students gain greater appreciation for works by the masters because the course incorporates basic instruction in observational drawing, painting, music theory, singing, and traditional dancing. Student works are exhibited at Defense Day each semester.
- Materials needed:
- Sketchbook (9″x12″ is a good size)
- Drawing pencils (basic set, with charcoal)
- Heavy paper (cardstock or artists’ painting paper)
- Acrylic paints (at least black, white, red, blue, yellow)
- Watercolor paints (at least black, red, blue, yellow)
- Paint brushes (mix of large, medium, and fine tips)
Why bother with art, especially during junior or senior year?
- This course is centered around taking time to stop and focus on beautiful things.
- Students taking, or who have taken, Modern History, will get a great review and reinforcement of material they are studying or have studied.
- Students taking Senior Thesis can use projects from Fine Arts for their Senior Thesis books.
- Most importantly, the arts are amazing!